Last week I was approached by Simon Harris and invited to get involved with a new project. Simon is the author of Barcelona Travel Guide, and has lived in Barcelona since 1988. He has a keen interest in Spanish history and politics… and is a huge fan of his beloved Barcelona football team.
The new project, as per the title of this post is called “The Next Big thing”. Basically, it is a development upon the “chain letter” principle… but instead of spreading nothingness, it provides an opportunity to promote your own projects, and those of others.
So… here is my involvement. I am still waiting to hear from the people who I have sent invites to… but if you would like to get involved – just copy the questions (these can be applied to a book, a blog post, a project) and answer them from your own perspective. Then invite 5 people to carry on the baton. I have invited my 5… but 3 of them at least are away on holiday as I speak. Don’t forget to drop me a line to email@example.com so I can give you a plug on this page. Here we go:
What is the working title of your book?
– I don’t have a title yet. Sorry!
Where did the idea come from for the book?
– I started writing poetry in my early teens… and had a notebook that stored them all, right up until my mid twenties. It charted my life… some of it in anguish… and reading back, you could see a young girl blossom into a woman… albeit with a shedload of events along the way. Unfortunately, the book was rain-damaged in the late-nineties, and I lost the lot. It kind of hit me hard… and apart from the odd silly limerick in a friend’s birthday card… I stopped writing poems altogether until very recently. I thought I might start again… and although I write my best poetry when I am distraught and close to ending it all (hey, it works for songwriters)… I have managed some happier and more positive stuff this time around.
What genre does your book fall under?
– Poetry I guess – although it is also interspersed with the occasional personal anecdote.
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
– People have likened my personality to Catherine Tate (that will be my potty mouth and confident gob that does it – personally I think “it’s a $&#%ing liberty!!!”).
Alan said the other evening that I looked like Kate Beckinsale – but then promptly followed that up with “I wish”, as he skipped quickly from the room before my wine glass caught him on the back of the head. I would quite like Ms Tate to play me… but Kylie Minogue would have to be my body double for any bare bum scenes – obviously!
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
– Sarcasm and self depracation.
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
– I’ll self-publish – can’t see an agency banging down my door for this any time soon.
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
– Still being written. I may never actually publish it. Some poetry is immensely personal… and if anyone got an insight into what goes on in my head sometimes, I’d be hugging myself in a comfy room. Mind you… I’d get free valium then – now there’s an idea!
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
– It is probably as serious as Ted Hughes much of the time… but occasionally it springs off into a mind-mess tangent… so I don’t know! Probably as useful as a five year old’s shopping list.
Who or What inspired you to write this book?
– Just life in general really… and everyone I have met along the way. Sometimes a person who you meet for a fleeting moment can have the most profound effect on your life…. whereas others that are on the scene for years have no effect at all.
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
– A centre spread of me in the nuddy? Would that do it? Ha ha ha ha – nope! Don’t worry – I think there are laws against that sort of thing.
So that’s me done. I look forward to reading yours!