This recipe for “Tomates al horno” (ovenbaked tomatoes) is so simple and takes seconds to prepare. Oh and it’s great for vegans too!
I adore this recipe and make it often because it is so simple and so fast… either as a light snack, or to go alongside a main meal.
There are no hard and fast rules on quantities with this dish – it really is just down to personal taste. As a rule of thumb – a pinch of your chosen herb plus a crushed garlic clove is enough for two normal sized tomatoes.
- Tomatoes. Any tomatoes will do – but I love to mix different cherry toms
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- A couple (or more) of garlic cloves. Don’t bother peeling, but do crush ever so slightly with the flat of a wide blade knife. Add an additional peeled and crushed clove in with the herbs if you like your food as garlicky as we do
- Pinch or two of finely chopped fresh basil, oregano, thyme or parsley – add according to taste
This is where it gets really easy!
- Preheat the oven to about 200C
- Halve the toms and place them cut-side-up in an oven-safe dish. Cazuelas are perfect for this
- Add in your unpeeled garlic cloves
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the tomatoes and garlic
- Sprinkle your chosen herbs over the tomatoes
- Oven bake until bubbling, and the toms are soft
- Serve hot – but note the warning below
Spain Buddy tips
- It really doesn’t matter which herbs you use for tomates al horno – mix and match any if you like. However – do try to use fresh herbs if possible. These still taste great if you use dried but the flavour is slightly different. Basil, for example tastes completely different. My fave combo is garlic with basil.
- WARNING! THESE ARE RED HOT AND WILL REMOVE THE ROOF OF YOUR MOUTH IF YOU EAT STRAIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN. I HAVE FALLEN FOUL OF THIS MANY TIMES – YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!!
Want more vegetarian recipes? Click HERE
Want to buy our recipe book for only €4.99? Click the banner at the top of the page, or click HERE