Many of us here in Spain have almond trees on our land. This Spanish recipe is a great way to use up all that excess you have from this year’s crop. They should be just starting to appear in the next week or so, if not already. Enjoy!
- 1/2 kg whole almonds… shelled (doesn’t matter whether they are in their skins or not)
- 10 tablespoons of olive oil
- Good sprinkle of coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of your favourite spice. This is optional. We like it with paprika
- Get that oven good and ready at about 180 degrees celsuis (medium heat)
- Pour the olive oil into a large oven tray and swirl it about so it covers all the base
- Throw the almonds in and mix well so they are all covered in oil
- Try to keep them in a single layer if possible
- Cook in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes… stirring them regularly
- Once they are all golden brown, drain them on kitchen roll
- While they are still warm, sprinkle them with the sea salt and the optional spice.
Of course they are gorgeous to eat immediately, but they will also keep for a couple of days if stored in an airtight container. These are a great gift to bring along to a party… or to serve as nibbles when visitors pop by.
The only problem I have, is persuading Alan to sit shelling the almonds ahead of time!!
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business – Spain Web Design by Gandy-Draper.
Born a “Norverner”, she then spent most of her life “Dann Saff” before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle’s loves are Alan, the internet, dogs, good food, and dry white wine – although not necessarily in that order.