I could eat deep fried padron peppers all day every day. The Spanish recipe I first tried had these baked in the oven. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt… and bake for about 15 minutes. But if time is really short, this method is even faster – ready in less than two minutes.
- A fistful of padron peppers per person
- A good sprinkle of coarse sea salt.
- Olive oil for frying.
- Rinse the peppers well and pat dry
- Deep fry in hot oil. Not for any longer than 20 to 30 seconds
- Drain on kitchen roll
- Arrange on a plate and sprinkle with the sea salt
These are obviously not quite as healthy as the oven baked version. But they are ready so quickly.
I’m willing to put money on it that they don’t last long before being wolfed down.
Spain Buddy tips
- Since originally writing this recipe, I have evolved the cooking method. I now pan fry them with a healthy glug of olive oil. Use tongs to turn them.
- If doing the panfry method – then just before serving, squirt with lemon juice and give them a final toss
- If deep frying – squirt with lemon juice as a final flourish at the same time as you sprinkle the sea salt.
- I love mine with black charred bits on – but that’s not to everyone’s taste.