After the lighter bites I’ve published today, this Rioja Braised Chorizo with Chickpeas recipe offers a heartier option, although you can serve in tapa sized portions too. Big bold flavours – the heart of Spanish cooking.
You can see Donal creating this dish and the others featured on Spain Buddy today in video form HERE.
Ingredients (serves four)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 250g chorizo cut in rough chunks
- 150ml red wine
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- A good handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Sour dough bread, slices toasted to serve
- Half a tin/jar of chickpeas (precooked)
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add the oil.
- Fry the shallot for 2-3 minutes until softened and then add in the garlic, cooking for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in the chorizo and fry until sizzling.
- Pour over the red wine, honey and stir in the paprika
- Allow to cook down for 10 minutes or until the wine has reduced down to a thick sauce.
- Stir through some pre-cooked chickpeas until they are warmed through.
- Add the flat leafed parsley and stir well.
- Serve immediately.
Please take a moment to read Barcelona’s Top Five Tapas Bars on the Insider City Guide for Barcelona.
You can view various city guides on the Insider City Guide on the Times website also.
Donal Skehan is a food writer, photographer, and TV presenter from Dublin whose passion for food is always abundant. A judge on Junior Masterchef in Ireland and a familiar face on RTE, Donal’s rapid fire wit and friendly demeanour has made him a TV favourite already.
His latest series, Follow Donal, sees him exploring European cities – meeting food enthusiasts and chefs and sharing his travel highlights with the viewing audience.