After the lighter bites I’ve published today, this Rioja Braised Chorizo with Chickpeas recipe offers a heartier option, although you can serve in tapa sized portions too. Big bold flavours – the heart of Spanish cooking.
You can see Donal creating this dish and the others featured on Spain Buddy today in video form HERE.
Ingredients (serves four)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 250g chorizo cut in rough chunks
- 150ml red wine
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- A good handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Sour dough bread, slices toasted to serve
- Half a tin/jar of chickpeas (precooked)
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add the oil.
- Fry the shallot for 2-3 minutes until softened and then add in the garlic, cooking for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in the chorizo and fry until sizzling.
- Pour over the red wine, honey and stir in the paprika
- Allow to cook down for 10 minutes or until the wine has reduced down to a thick sauce.
- Stir through some pre-cooked chickpeas until they are warmed through.
- Add the flat leafed parsley and stir well.
- Serve immediately.
You can view various city guides on the Insider City Guide on the Times website also.