This Spanish recipe, huevos rotos con jamón (scrambled eggs with ham) is an absolute favourite of mine. I love potatoes, love eggs, and love jamón. “Rotos” translates directly as “broken”, which is exactly what you do to the eggs just as you serve them. This dish is so simple, yet is pretty hearty and of course it is easy to cook. We have featured this one as a treat for Maria Alejandra Lemus and Maxine Raynor
Ingredients (per person)
- 1 medium sized potato, peeled and cut into slices (about 3 or 4 mm thick)
- 2 eggs
- 2 or 3 slices of jamón – chopped. You could use bacon lardons if you like but don’t moan that it doesn’t taste Spanish!
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- A couple of tablespoons of olive oil for frying
- Heat the oil over a low heat and toss in the potato slices and garlic
- Cook fairly slowly. You want that potato to cook until soft, but not to crisp up before the inside is cooked
- Once your potato is done, carefully break your eggs on top
- Sprinkle the jamón over the top and around the sides
- Do NOT mix, or burst the yolks. You want your eggs to stay intact for now
- Once your egg whites are actually white, it should be done. But if those yolks are still raw… pop it under a hot grill just for a minute for a minute or two.
- To serve – mix it all up loosely in the pan and serve hot.
Simple… tasty… and hearty. Enjoy!
- If you are feeling REALLY lazy… then just fry a couple of eggs in a pan with some jamón… mix them together when cooked, and dollop the whole lot on top of a plate of chips. Ham, egg and chips – Spanish style!
Do you have a favourite dish from Spain that you would like us to feature for you? Just let us know what you like! We pride ourselves in finding the simplest yet tastiest methods for you. After all… we don’t want to spend ALL our lives in the kitchen do we?
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business – Spain Web Design by Gandy-Draper.
Born a “Norverner”, she then spent most of her life “Dann Saff” before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle’s loves are Alan, the internet, dogs, good food, and dry white wine – although not necessarily in that order.