It’s currently 40C at Spain Buddy Heights. Bikinis and swimming trunks are perfectly acceptable office dress here but this easy granizado recipe makes the heat easier to handle.
This recipe is super simple but does take a little forward planning…
Ingredients for this easy granizado recipe
- 5 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 500 grams of white sugar
- 1.5 litres of water
- Grate the oranges and lemons… but go careful to only get the coloured peel, and not the white pith from underneath because that’s bitter
- Put the peel in a saucepan
- Get as much juice as you can from the fruit and add to the pan
- Add the sugar and 500ml of water to the pan
- Bring it to the boil and keep it on a rolling boil until the liquid has reduced by half
- Set to one side to cool a bit – 5 or 10 minutes should do it
- Pour into a large, fairly shallow, freezer-proof container and top up with the remaining water
- Stir and bung it in the freezer
- Freeze for 3 or 4 hours but take it out and stir with a fork every 3/4 of an hour or so
- After 3 or 4 hours it should resemble a slushy
Spain Buddy Tips
- Try experimenting with different fruits such as limes
- Swap the oranges for limes and then swap half a mug of water for white rum just before it goes in the freezer – serve in a glass containing mint leaves – instant iced mojito!
- Or swap that mug of water for half a mug of voddie… or gin
- If it sets too hard in the freezer, then pop chunks of it into a food processor and whizz for a few seconds before serving
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business – Spain Web Design by Gandy-Draper.
Born a “Norverner”, she then spent most of her life “Dann Saff” before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle’s loves are Alan, the internet, dogs, good food, and dry white wine – although not necessarily in that order.