This isn’t strictly speaking a Spanish recipe… but I have adapted it to use local flavourings. Give it a go and see what you think. It would serve 4 as tapas dishes, or 2 as a starter with some salad… or you could be a greedy guts like me and do the lot just for one as a meal. Alan doesn’t eat chicken livers… but always makes sure there are some in the house for me. Enjoy!
- 200 – 250g of chicken livers, washed, trimmed and drained
- A couple of fistfuls of flour. It doesn’t matter what type really
- 1 egg
- Dribble of milk
- Paprika – about half a teaspoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Plenty of oil for deepfrying
- Set yourself out 2 shallow bowls and a large plate
- Bowl one: throw in the flour, paprika, salt and pepper and mix well. If you want to do it in a bag instead… that’s fine too
- Bowl two: Lightly beat the egg and add just a dribble of milk and stir well
- Dunk the chicken livers in the egg mix… then in the flour mix
- Deep fry for 4 to 6 minutes until golden brown – but do cut into a piece to check it is cooked through
- Serve immediately
- Prick the livers with a fork before you start coating them – this reduces how much they spit when in the hot oil.
- Serve with lemon juice squirted on top
- … or some ali oli
- … or some chilli dip
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business – Spain Web Design by Gandy-Draper.
Born a “Norverner”, she then spent most of her life “Dann Saff” before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle’s loves are Alan, the internet, dogs, good food, and dry white wine – although not necessarily in that order.