Bar Toni in the centre of Albox in Almeria is a favourite haunt of mine. Popular with a real mix of Spanish and British on the terrace outdoors, and predominantly Spanish indoors… I usually head for the table on the right in the corner, as you enter the door.
I first visited shortly after moving to Almeria, when a new friend suggested it as a meeting place. After a couple of glasses of wine, a couple of tapas… I had made a friend for life and discovered a new place to eat. Thank you Tom V, for the introduction.
This is not a multi Michelin starred restaurant – it is honest to goodness Spanish tapas – plenty of it and extremely reasonably priced.
Be prepared to practise your Spanish in this friendly little place, although if you get really stuck whilst gazing through the glass at the vast array of dishes on offer, they do know the English for most things too… and can explain what any unusual looking food is.
I popped in yesterday and got the usual warm welcome – and laughed along with – as I waded through the available dishes.
- Caracoles – my snails were served in a simple broth, great for mopping up with the bowl of bread they supplied. A little slaty for my taste, but I’d have them again. Recipe for snails in a spicy sauce here
- Patatas a lo pobre – I’ve been making this myself for some time and very frequently… but this was the first time I tried it properly. Thankfully I’ve been on the right track. Recipe here
- Paella con carne – this was the special of the day and full of flavour! Recipe here
- Riñones – these were kidneys, and the first time I had tried them in Spain. They were stunning, and served in a thick meaty sauce.
- 2 glasses of house white wine
Price – €6 total. Yes, you heard me right… €6!! Each dish costs a euro, and a small glass of wine is also a euro.
I have also tried rabbit here, various pork dishes, estofado and the meatballs. All the dishes are great! I just wish I could visit more often – I am determined to get through ALL of the dishes on offer… hot and cold. If you enjoy meat dishes and stews that melt in the mouth – this place is definitely for you.
If you are in Albox, make sure you visit Bar Toni… and be sure to tell them you heard about it on Spain Buddy.
It is located on the corner of Plaza Nueva, the square with the donkey statue in it… and Calle Sevilla. There is seating along two sides of the entrance – one in sun directly outside the entrance, and one in shade with access to a serving window just around to the right… plus seating for around 20 people indoors. It gets extremely busy on market days – so if you see a table, grab it quick!
Plaza Nueva, 9
Tlf: +34 655 83 20 41
[mapgen url=”198494″ height=”375px” width=”680″]
Bar Toni was not aware I was doing a review until after I had paid and it was time for me to leave. They have not paid us for this review, nor offered any form of incentive.