Spanish recipe: egg butties
Something guaranteed to put a smile on my face are egg butties. Runny yolk, fresh bread – lovely! But I also adore this Spanish recipe with extra flavour too!
You could do these with chicken eggs of course, but this version uises quail eggs – a regular ingredient in tapas. It’s fast and it’s simple. Enjoy! The quantities are per tapa, so multiply up as many times as you have eager mouths to feed.
- 2 quail eggs
- 3 or 4 slivers of roasted red pepper (the jars are ideal for this)
- 1 padron pepper
- I slice of day old bread – diagonally sliced baguette is perfect
- Olive oil for frying
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a heavy based pan and pop on a medium heat
- Throw in the padron pepper and cook, turning regularly until it starts to soften. Don’t let it burn
- Once it’s softened, throw in the peppers
- Toast the slice of bread
- Very gently, crack open the quail eggs and add them to the pan – be careful… they’re fragile
- Top the toast with the peppers, then the eggs, then the padron.
- Don’t be shy with the oil left in the pan… you can drizzle a little of it on top.
- Serve hot
Spain Buddy Tips
- This also works really well with a little jamon too – Alan loved them on our trip to Granada City
- Be prepared to make loads of these. They go down in just a couple of bites and your guests or family will be clamouring for more.
- I also do a version with just garlic mushrooms and eggs. Slice the mushrooms thinly and cook them before the eggs. Just before you add the eggs to the pan, throw in a crushed garlic clove and stir it through the mushrooms before adding a good sprinkle of cracked black pepper
- This is a perfect Sunday brunch… but why wait?!
by Elle Draper
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business - Gandy-Draper. Born a "Norverner", she then spent most of her life "Dann Saff" before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle's loves are Alan, the internet, their three bouncing dogs, good food, and dry white wine - although not necessarily in that order. More about Elle - HERE | Got a news story to share? Click HERE | Want to write for Spain Buddy? Click HERE | Interested in our low cost advertising? Click HERE