Spain’s Eurovision entries – part one
Spain’s Eurovision entries for 2016 have now been announced and we thought you might like to learn a little more about them. There are six acts in all.
The six hopefuls dreaming of representing their country at the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest are Barei, Electric Nana, María Isabel, Maverick, Salvador Beltrán and Xuso Jones. They will be performing for the votes of the Spanish public before the lucky winner heads to Stockholm.
- Real name:Bárbara Reyzábal
- Born: 1982
- Intro: Barei is a singer and songwriter with two albums under her belt (Billete para no volver and Throw The Dice), and a music career spanning more than 16 years
- Style: High energy American pop, soul and black music.
- Influences: Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, OneRepublic, Maroon 5, Sia and Pink.
- Entry: Barei’s Eurovision entry is being cowritten by her and Rubén Villanueva.
- Details: Barei studied music theory, singing, guitar, piano and participated in the Benidorm Festival before travelling to Miami, where she began to really kick off her career and compose her demo tapes. Upon her return to Spain she performed on the main stages of Madrid. In 2015 she performed at the Starlite in Marbella. Barei sings and writes predominantly in English and has written numerous songs for other Spanish artists as well as for television.
- Real name: Monica Vazquez
- Born: 1987
- Intro: Madrid born Monica started writing her own music aged just 14. while also playing piano and guitar. She loves to write, produce, arrange and perform her own sings, keeping everything fresh and unique.
- Style: Various but predominantly upbeat.
- Entry: Electric Nana has written her own Eurovision entry.
- Details: Monica speaks several languages and writes her songs in English, Spanish and French. She has a degree in Journalism. She first performed as Nana Electric in 2007 and rose to fame with Plan B, and recorded two songs with him – Lead The Way and Gimme The Base. The latter reached number one in the charts. In 2015 she released her first album, To Life!, completely in English.
- Real name: María Isabel López Rodríguez
- Born: 1995
- Intro: Huelva born Maria Isabel first hit the scene aged just nine years old when she won the Junior Eurovision Song Contest with Antes Muerta Que Sencilla.
- Style: Various including Latin pop, Electropop, Dance-pop
- Influences: Flamenco
- Entry: María Isabel’s entry song has been written by David Santisteban.
- Details: Despite her young introduction to the music scene and massive success enabling her to travel the globe including such far flung places as Japan, it wasn’t until 2015 that she returned. Aged 20, she released a new album, Yo Decido.
PART TWO FOLLOWS TOMORROW
by Elle Draper
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business – Gandy-Draper. Born a “Norverner”, she then spent most of her life “Dann Saff” before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle’s loves are Alan, the internet, their three bouncing dogs, good food, and dry white wine – although not necessarily in that order.