Gran Canaria is one of the Canary Islands, situated just off the NW coast of Africa. Often spoken about as the island with the most varied climate – it’s an island of mountains, sand dunes, unspoilt coastlines, picturesque villages, and a buzzing nightlife – all in one place!
Because this popular destination is located where it is, it enjoys a fantastic climate, and people visit all year round.
The most popular resort is Playa del Inglés in the south of the Island, although the more adventurous travellers often head to Las Palmas de GC and immerse themselves in the capital city with all it has to offer.
Gay Pride is huge on the island, and people travel from all over the world for the many events. In addition, the springtime carnival is considered amongst the biggest and most colourful in Spain.
Getting out of the resorts, and exploring the villages is an absolute must – with many gems not always mentioned in the guidebooks (with good reason – secrets are meant to be kept!)
As with the other Canary Islands, you must try the papas con arrugadas and the two sauces, mojo rojo and mojo verde. Fresh fish and seafood is widely available in the resorts but don’t underestimate the appeal of a goat stew or the locals’ favourite, gofio. Wines are also rapidly gaining respect in the industry.
- Police/ Ambulance / Fire 112
- Hospital Doctor Negrin: Plaza Barranco de la Ballena, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Tlf 928 450 000
- Hospital Insular: Avenida Marítima del Sur, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Tlf 928 444 321
- Late Night Chemist – click HERE & choose a town from the drop down menu
- Airport 928 579 130
- Radio Taxi 928 46 00 00
- Taxis San Cristobal 928 41 76 04
- Trasmediterranea 902 454 645
- Britain: 902 109 356
- Germany 928 491 880
- Holland 922 271 721 (Tenerife)
- Ireland 928 297 728