Should I change my UK driving license for a Spanish one?
One of the most common questions we are asked is “Should I change my UK driving license for a Spanish one?” With this in mind, we’ve asked an expert.
The following information is kindly provided by Mónica Suárez from MSPeasylife.
Renewal of the Community Driving Licence
“From 19 January 2013 there is a single European driving licence and the renewal of the document will be made by issuing the single European model and in accordance with Spanish Law.” DGT
Since January last year there have been many people who have come to my office concerned about whether or not they should renew their UK driving and afraid of being fined if they don’t.
The fact is that, despite the amount of information that can be read in forums, social networks and even newspapers… unfortunately correct information is not always provided. This can cause confusion and in some cases, push people to a state of unnecessary panic.
Of course it is necessary to satisfy the obligation to renew the UK driver’s license IF certain characteristics are met. The following questions will allow you to establish whether YOUR driving license needs changing or not. You will need to have your residence certificate (green card or paper) and driver’s license with you.
- Did you get your Residencia Certificate before 19/01/2013?
- Did you renew your UK Driving Licence while being Resident in Spain?
- Did your Driving Licence expire?
- Check categories Group 1: AM, A1, A2, A, B & BE. Do they have NO expiry date or it is after 19/01/2030?
- Check categories Group 2: BTP, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, DE & DE. Do they have NO expiry date or it is after 19/01/2020?
You have to EXCHANGE your UK Driving Licence…
- If you have answered YES to Question 1 AND YES to any of the other 4
- If you have answered NO to Question 1 BUT YES to any of the other 4 then you will have to exchange it within 2 years of residency (i.e. if you are legally residing in Spain as from 06/06/2015 you must renew your driving licence on or after 06/06/2017).
Now you have the answer, the next step would be to decide if you do it on your own or contact a professional to help you with the process. The most important thing is that, if you have any doubts at all, always contact an expert: you will be saving yourselves time and money.
For further information, please visit the DGT website
ELC – Easy Life Coodinator
+34 675 364 184
by Elle Draper
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business - Gandy-Draper. Born a "Norverner", she then spent most of her life "Dann Saff" before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle's loves are Alan, the internet, their three bouncing dogs, good food, and dry white wine - although not necessarily in that order. More about Elle - HERE | Got a news story to share? Click HERE | Want to write for Spain Buddy? Click HERE | Interested in our low cost advertising? Click HERE