Huevos Tontos are Fools Eggs. This recipe came from the same time of need that gave us all those great pauper food recipes – a simple way to make simple ingredients taste great when money was tight. Enjoy!
The saying goes, “Necessity is the mother of invention” and this recipe is a great example of this. It makes use of stale bread – so you’re also doing your bit to avoid food waste too.
Ingredients – serves two as a snack or four as a tapa
- 200 grams of stale bread – weighed after any tough crusts are removed
- 1 egg – lightly whisked
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and crushed
- 1/2 level teaspoon of dried parsley
- a little milk
- a little water
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Break the bread into chunks
- Sprinkle equal amounts of milk and water over the bread. You want it to be pretty wet but not swimming
- Once the bread is soaked, add the eggs, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well using a fork to really mash it up.
- The consistency should sloppy – a bit like thick porridge.
- Heat plenty of oil in a wok or cazuela. Have it slightly under the temperature you’d have for chips
- Use a couple of teaspoons to make lumps of the mixture, and fry in batches.
- These swell as they cook so don’t make them too big.
- Fry until golden brown – turning regularly. They need to be crispy and golden on the outside but just set on the inside – so don’t have the oil too hot or the inside won’t cook properly.
- Serve hot
Spain Buddy tips
These are a filler rather than a dish in their own right. However – they can easily be jazzed up and turned into a tasty tapa or snack. Try adding the following
- Mix in some flaked white fish (cooked) or a small tin of tuna before frying
- Try adding a good heaped tablespoon of grated parmesan or similar cheese
- These are amazing served with alioli or mojo verde
by Elle Draper
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business - Gandy-Draper. Born a "Norverner", she then spent most of her life "Dann Saff" before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle's loves are Alan, the internet, their three bouncing dogs, good food, and dry white wine - although not necessarily in that order. More about Elle - HERE | Got a news story to share? Click HERE | Want to write for Spain Buddy? Click HERE | Interested in our low cost advertising? Click HERE