Easy Spanish recipe: Zarangollo
This easy Spanish recipe for Zarangollo is great for vegetarians too and is quick to rustle up, not to mention ideal for novice cooks. Plus it’s tasty and perfect for getting towards your five a day.
The dish originates in Murcia and can be eaten as a standalone dish as a snack or popped on your plate as a side dish. The original recipe doesn’t mention garlic but I put it in almost everything and finds it helps boost the dish. The measurements below are per person for a snack or will serve two as a side dish.
Ingredients for Zarangollo
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini)
- 1 small onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium potato
- 1 clove of garlic (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A heavy based frying pan or cazuela
- Peel your potato and dice – about 1cm to 1.5cm cubes
- Peel and slice or dice your onion – keep them fairly chunky
- Dice your courgettes – about the same size as the potato
- Peel then crush or finely dice the garlic
- Gently heat a hearty glug of olive oil in your pan
- Throw everything else except the garlic into the pan and cook really gently until the veggies are softened. You want the veggies to soften but not brown
- Once softened, add the garlic and then the salt and pepper to your liking
- Pop the eggs in, stirring quickly to ensure everything is coated before the eggs cook
- Serve as soon as the eggs solidify but not too much
Spain Buddy tips
- Don’t be afraid to try adding extra veggies in.
- If you really can’t forego your meat, brown some diced bacon or chorizo before then gently cooking the veggies
- I do love a runny egg. So instead of stirring your eggs through at the last moment, just serve the veggies in a dish with a poached or fried egg on top – lovely!
by Elle Draper
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business - Gandy-Draper. Born a "Norverner", she then spent most of her life "Dann Saff" before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle's loves are Alan, the internet, their three bouncing dogs, good food, and dry white wine - although not necessarily in that order. More about Elle - HERE | Got a news story to share? Click HERE | Want to write for Spain Buddy? Click HERE | Interested in our low cost advertising? Click HERE