Buñuelos de queso recipe
Buñuelos de queso are bite-sized buns of flavour and thankfully are really easy to make (if a little heavy on arm work). So give these a go, but beware… they’re not kind to your waistline.
Ingredients (makes a good batch)
- 100g butter, cubed
- 100g of strong cheese such as Cheddar or Manchego – grated
- 4 eggs plus an extra yolk – lightly beaten
- 500ml water
- Teaspoon mustard – smooth not grainy OR half a teaspoon of mustard powder
- Teaspoon of pimiento picante OR 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 240g plain flour
- Large saucepan
- Baking sheet – lightly greased
- Wooden spoon
- Reinforcements for stirring in the form of a husband, teenager or the local arm wrestling champ
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas mark 7
- Put the water, butter and salt (if using) in the saucepan and bring to the boil
- Okay – now this bit needs to be quick…
- Tip the flour into the boiling liquid and stir like a banshee with the wooden spoon
- It will firm up – keep stirring
- Gradually add the eggs, ensuring it mixes well
- Now add the mustard, pimienton and the cheese
- Keep stirring!!!!
- If your arm gets tired, yell for help.
- Once it’s all melted in and well mixed, take it off the heat
- Put spoonfuls of the mixture onto your greased baking trays and pop in the oven
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Now turn the heat down and continue baking for around 10 to 15 minutes or untilo browned
- Wolf these bad boys down the same day.
Spain Buddy tips
- You can deepfry these babies instead of oven baking… but obviously that’s not as healthy. But who cares?! Just do them in batches and drain them well on kitchen paper before serving. The photo shows them fried.
- These are great served with pickles and relishes – just choose your favourites.
by Elle Draper
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business - Gandy-Draper. Born a "Norverner", she then spent most of her life "Dann Saff" before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle's loves are Alan, the internet, their three bouncing dogs, good food, and dry white wine - although not necessarily in that order. More about Elle - HERE | Got a news story to share? Click HERE | Want to write for Spain Buddy? Click HERE | Interested in our low cost advertising? Click HERE