A good hot chocolate recipe
Here is a good hot chocolate recipe to warm the cockles. It is really really easy and just perfect for a cold winter evening. At the end are a load of additional flavour options – have fun!
Ingredients (serves two)
- 500 grams of good quality dark chocolate
- 2 mugs of milk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- Grate or finely chop your chocolate and place all ingredients except the cinnamon into a microwaveable bowl
- Bang it into the microwave and melt it – I do it for 30 seconds and then 10 second bursts
- If you prefer you can put everything into a heavy based pan over a really low heat and melt it that way
- Stir as it melts so that it melts evenly
- Pour into glasses and sprinkle the cinnamon on top
Spain Buddy tips
Okay, so the method we have given you isn’t particularly healthy… but then it is Christmas after all eh! The following tips will crank it even further. Let your imagination run wild.
- Use 3/4 milk and a 1/4 cream for extra creamy goodness
- When everything is melted, pour in a good glug of your favourite warming spirit such as brandy or rum
- Swap 1/4 of the milk for your favourite Irish cream, such as Bailey’s (or make your own by following this super recipe from Sue Sharpe)
- It’s also good with a tot of your favourite liqueur… try Tia Maria, Amaretto, Drambuie or cherry brandy
- Once it’s poured into the mugs – top with squirty cream and/or marshmallows.
Non alcoholic versions that are also great for the kids
These flavours wake the chocolate up a little. Knock yourself out! Add the ingredients to taste.
- Peppermint extract
- Dollop of smooth peanut butter (melt this with the other ingredients rather than adding at the end)
- Dollop of Nutella (melt this with the other ingredients rather than adding at the end)
- Caramel sauce
by Elle Draper
Elle, along with Alan, is the owner of Spain Buddy and the busy web design business - Gandy-Draper. Born a "Norverner", she then spent most of her life "Dann Saff" before moving to Spain in 2006. Elle's loves are Alan, the internet, their three bouncing dogs, good food, and dry white wine - although not necessarily in that order. More about Elle - HERE | Got a news story to share? Click HERE | Want to write for Spain Buddy? Click HERE | Interested in our low cost advertising? Click HERE